Saturday, August 27, 2005

A little too much

"How the hell'd we wind up like this?
Why weren't we able
To see there's something we'd missed?
And try and turn the tables
I wish you'd unclench your fists
And unpack your suitcase
Lately there's been too much of this
But don't think it's too late."

-- Nickelback


The streets were cleaned up fast after Katrina, but not many of the traffic lights are working still. It's amazing that in two days you can get used to stopping at every intersection, even if you have a green light. I was thinking that the blinking lights aren't so bad: While it's fight for your life at some bigger intersections, the stop and go at smaller ones actually gets me places faster when there aren't downed ficus trees blocking the road.

The only problem is when you travel into the unknown. Then you have to REALLY pay attention because the lights are out and those broken intersections just creep up on ya, even in broad daylight. And if you aren't familiar with the area... well, I've seen quite a few fender benders.

Winds have died down. Gusts and rain here and there. Bye Katrina. New Orleans, I'm saying a prayer for you.

The job hunt is still on, if not postponed. I'll never make my deadline, with this hurricane crap. My daughter's birthday party is tomorrow and my brother is coming the next day to visit for a few. I'm back to work for three days then I'm on vacation for a week.... a REAL vacation for once. This has all been, well, stressful. A break from routine is great once in a while, but all this at once has me feeling upside down. I wasn't ready for all this at the same time!!!

I wonder if the places I applied to think I'm running from the hurricanes, LOL. They probably laugh in my face remembering the last time they slid down a Pittsburgh hill in the snow sideways thinking, "This might be it. I hope that guardrail is not weakened by the last fool that slid along it." But I wanna go back so so bad and don't mind sliding along a guardrail. I have an uncle who does body work. ;)

Tomorrow I will go in search of a supermarket for party things... many grocery stores still don't have power and those that do have little food because much has spoiled. I guess if it comes to it, I'll order pizza delivery. If I can find a local pizza place with power....

No comments: