Sunday, September 11, 2005

I (heart) the Big Easy

"And the tears come streaming down your face
When you lose something you can't replace
When you love someone but it goes to waste
could it be worse?"

-- Cold Play, Fix You

Holy Katrina.

I have continued to be completely absorbed by the coverage of the aftermath of this storm. New Orleans was, in fact, my favorite place on this earth. It's not that I've visited a ton of places, but it was a place I always dreamed of visiting as a child, and I'm glad I got the chance.

I can't believe the bitty hurricane that brushed our peninsula went on the be so fucking shitty to our hurricane-receiving counterparts. I can't believe it wiped out one of the most unique and historic towns in my country.

Don't get me started on government response. I could start a whole new blog on that, but it's been done.

My heart, it aches. This city, these people... It's never going to be the same again. I'm having nightmares, and I cry when I read coverage or look at photos of the devastation. Small towns, wiped out. Cities, gone. Businesses, jobs, families, all ripped away. And we fucking saw it coming and then sat on our asses wondering what to do about it.

I didn't ask about the day job right away because of Katrina, but late the following week I did. The response was not overwhelming there either. My boss pretty much told me that it wasn't looking good. I have a ton of theories, but the fact that after a year of begging and pleading for a day job has left me with nothing, I'm pretty much on my own.

Still, I feel lucky.

No comments: