Thursday, September 29, 2005

Dreaming on

"Every memory of looking out the back door
I have the photo album spread out on my bedroom floor
It's hard to say it, time to say it
Goodbye life, goodbye life

I miss that town, I miss their faces
You can't erase, You can't replace it
I miss it now. I can't believe it
So hard to stay, Too hard to leave it

If I could I relive those days
I know the one thing that would never change

Look at this photograph
Every time I do it makes me laugh"

--Nickelback, Photograph

I GOT AN INTERVIEW!!!

I got released from jury duty early today and came home to a phone message from one of the dozens of companies that I applied to.

It was the only company I hoped would reply.

The deputy managing editor of a publication in Pittsburgh replied to me directly. I'll be up there in a couple of weeks for an interview.

My dad wasn't so robust about the new development. I've been telling him over and over that I can't afford to live in South Florida, but he insists that I'll be worse off in Pittsburgh. I finally asked him to guess what the median house price in Fort Lauderdale was.

He guessed $110,000.

I told him it was $450,000.

I think I won him over.

With that revelation, I got a commitment from him and my brother to come help move me. I know I'm jumping ahead, but I gotta be prepared. I could have a two-week turnaround, and I don't want to be caught by surprise. I almost went out tonight in search of packing boxes, but I convinced myself that was bad luck. Not to mention heavy boxes are a bitch to shift around when mopping floors.

I'm already thinking about my weekend road trips, some to see South Florida replants in Chicago, DC, New York and New Jersey. We could have a reunion! At the beach, which will be eight hours away from the Burgh; No big deal since I live a mile from the beach now and see it three times a year.

OK, again. Ahead of myself.

It was a good conversation that I had with Mr. DME. What is most surprising is that when he called I recognized his name as the head of photography for that publication, but he has other duties now; it so happens he's also a superior of my best friend, who is a photographer there. My friend insists he still maintains a solid photography presence there, and since I have a minor in that maybe I can hold my own in an interview.

I'm a fan of getting this on my own merit, so my friend and I agreed to keep mum about our friendship as far as professionalism goes. Our pact behind the ant-covered garbage can in high school as the vice principal drove by with binoculars still stands.

She also informed me that we'd be kept best friends if I wasn't planning on living with her when I moved back. I agree. LOL Two 4-year-olds together = one unmanageable monster of a headache.

(Scheduled play dates, Smudge. At your house. Iron City is on me.)

No comments: