Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Aw, poop

Zoe and Jacob and I were sitting around the table last night eating dinner, being as silly as we ever are. Zoe normally entertains him by pretending to fall off her chair, or by dancing around the table. It is very ... I don't know how to put this ... heartwarming? to watch them interact like this. Jacob will laugh and giggle with me, but when he is focused on Zoe's antics, there is an appreciation he has for her that comes from deep inside of him. His giggle comes from the soul, he throws his head back and he really lets go with her.

Little people are so cool.

So I'm shoveling carrots into him last night, and he gets one of those typical baby poses, where he clenches his fists and his face turns all red, and his gazed is fixed on some spot as though he were witnessing the second coming of Jesus.

"Are you pooping?" I ask him, and I make a little farting noise. AND I GOT THE GIGGLE. I GOT THE GIGGLE HE GIVES ZOE.

So, the dinner conversation turns to bodily functions, and we make more pooping noises, move on to peeing noises... I think we even threw in a few burps and sneezes. And he is giggling through all of this like he just learned how to giggle and his life depended on keeping it up.

Later when we were sprawled out on the living room floor, I turned to Zoe and said, "I think Jacob just pooped again." Stoically, matter of fact. And Jacob busted out laughing again! I didn't realize it earlier, but apparently it is the actual WORD poop that is setting him off. So we bombard him with "poop."




Ahhhh... raising a boy.

No comments: