Wednesday, August 22, 2007

The big screen

Zoe was with her dad for part of last week, and this week she is with my sister. While she's been gone, I've been getting ready for her sixth birthday party... shopping for presents and decorating her room... missing the shit out of her! There's something to be said for having a gap in ages between children. I almost don't know what to do with Jacob without her around! He's always so entertained by her, and with only me, he's only mildly amused. I'm just Mom, where Zoe is that freakin' cool little person that feeds him popsicles when Mom isn't looking!

I've been talking on the phone with Zoe a couple times a day, and while it saddens me a bit that she is having a great time in absence of her mother, I'm so glad she is getting to spend time with her aunt and that she is having a wonderful time.

The fact that Aunt Kelly says Zoe's been remarkably good (for the most part) kind of validates all the yelling and screaming I've done while raising her!!



We've tried a couple of times to get a web cam thing going, and tonight we finally succeeded. Jacob normally chases after me when he spots me with the computer... he wants to play with the keys and in general make a mess of anything he can get his hands on, since he's been crawling for nearly two weeks now. Tonight was no different, but then suddenly Aunt Kelly and Zoe appeared on the screen, and you would have thought they had reached out through the screen and touched him, with the way he suddenly sat still in my lap and stoically watched the screen animated with his big sister and the sound of her voice.

We miss her very much.

No comments: