Friday, April 11, 2008

Carrying on the little-known tradition

Liam has taken me to quite a few hockey games since we started dating. So I decided to return the favor with playoff tickets.


I thought Liam would be excited about this. He said he wanted playoff tickets sooooo bad... and he did seem his usual jovial, animated self on the trip to the game....

And then BOOM. Once his ass hit the seat, he was sitting stoically, PENSIVELY EVEN, while the rest of the arena erupted around him for three hours.

He warned me that he might be unusually animated for this game, considering it was the playoffs. But the most I heard out of him was a few rambling stats and once or twice, "Whoa."

Whoa.

Liam predicted on the way into the game all the failings of the team... which never came true. But he continued this throughout the game, and I suggested it was like watching a Steelers game with my dad, who would criticize every touchdown as though "we" didn't earn it.

The woman next to me, much older, leaned over. "That's all men, honey."

I was grunting and yelling and clapping and carrying on... and at one point I realized... this must be how my dad felt. He always said my mom embarrassed the shit out of him when she insisted he drag her to a hockey game.

Making ya proud, Mom!

LET'S GO PENS!!

No comments: