Tuesday, June 10, 2008

fRaZzLeD

I was in line at the grocery store tonight, exasperated. After a rough day at work, we found the store's day care was closed when we got there, which meant I had just wound through about a mile of shelves with a little girl who wanted everything she saw. M&Ms? Mom, can we get some? Cereal straws? Huh? How about this peroxide? Damn the geniuses who came up with the idea to put all the goodies on lower shelves.

I was in line with my 300 bucks worth of groceries, yet again telling Zoe no to the gum, the Kit Kat, the Sprees, the sodas. I bent down and told her very quietly, yet firmly, that if she asked me for One More Thing, I would explode.

I felt bad for the guy behind me... I must have had 200 items and he had only a handful. But I just wanted to get out of there. He eventually had the foresight to leave my line.

We got through it, with the annoying teenage workers shouting back and forth to each other about school while lagging on bagging my shit, but I was still composed as we were leaving the store, and I yet again vowed to write that letter to Giant Eagle about how I'd rather bag my own shit than watch some teenager half-assedly throw my shit into bags while calling over their shoulders to friends behind another counter about things my daughter should not be exposed to.

As I was walking out, the guy who had been behind me ran up to me, handed me a bag and said, "Your daughter is so beautiful. Take care." I must have looked perplexed, but he walked away smiling, and I looked inside the bag and it was a gift card to Pizza Hut.

"Do you know that guy?" I asked Zoe.

"No."

Just a random act of kindness.

It Made My Day. And made me squeeze my baby girl a little tighter tonight.

No comments: