Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Racing time

I have been so sick this week. And it's only October.

Zoe is on her first round of antibiotics for the season. And Jacob began coughing last night.

I feel like I have so much to get done before fall is over. And it seems like it just got here!

Being a homeowner is hard work. I guess it's a little more difficult than I anticipated. As a single mom, it's hard to rely on people... family say they will come to help take down that tree, friends say they will stop by to snake the toilet downstairs... and it doesn't happen, and I fully appreciate that they have their own lives. I feel quite capable of doing a lot of things myself, and I can be quite stubborn about doing so and reaping the satisfaction. But I can't do it all, and this fall my long wish list has been shortened, excluding things that can be revisited next year.

I could never have imagined though that it would be so rewarding to have a home. I have been here a year and a half. I see Liam moving into his own new home these past few weeks, and I admire his patience in getting things done around his children's schedule. I am all too familiar with moving around and wanting to make things perfect before uprooting the kids once again.

As an adult, you want things to be smooth for the kids, but you also want to hurry up the transition to a new life once you've committed.

Things have been changing rapidly for both of us, and it has been a little jarring. Being sick is probably the kick in the ass I needed to slow down and enjoy life for what it is.

Of course, I seem to need that kick every few days.

No comments: