Sunday, October 05, 2008

Season-ing

"If you don't give up
And don't give in,
You may just be OK."

-- The Living Years, Mike and the Mechanics



I have been hard at work getting the yard and gardens ready for fall... I had a blast with the kids today, putting away the pool and cleaning off lawn furniture. Hello, autumn.

It was a great escape from everyday life. I guess normally I would dread all that work of carting shit to the garage for storage, after cleaning it all, but it was ... how do I say this... I don't know.

Cleansing?

Now that Jacob is old enough to be included in all this ritual stuff, it's incredible to watch him take it in. He wants to help with everyting. It's rewarding to watch Zoe guide him. When she's not screaming at him.


There's so much going on in real life that this semi-quiet weekend was not only productive, but relaxing as hell. I think I witnessed something develop with my kids this weekend that most parents might take for granted: Zoe and Jacob realized they are individuals. Jacob is not always with me, and maybe they have felt the need to be together when they can, but today was the first time I saw them spend time in the same place, but mostly apart.

I think if I hurry and install a phone in Zoe's room and Cinemax in Jacob's, I might not have to hear from either of them again until they're married.

No comments: