Monday, December 26, 2005

Ch-ch-ch-CHIA!

"You, of tender years,
Can't know the fears that your elders grew by,
And so please, help them with your youth,
They seek the truth before they can die."

-- Teach Your Children; Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young



Christmas was great, except that my brother was really sick. His wife dragged him over half-dressed, and he remained on the couch all night, even to eat. I feel horrible for him. Ever since his car accident a few years ago, he's had horrible health problems. I called over there this afternoon and Jen said he didn't get out of bed for more than five minutes. Dad called tonight and said he got no answer.

I worry about that kid. A lot.

Zoe had a great Christmas though. She got a Leapster from her dad, and she totes it everywhere. And she got her elephant Chia pet from Uncle Rob and Aunt Jen! It's soaking in a bowl of water now, so we'll apply the seeds tomorrow. I have never been able to keep a Chia pet alive, let alone get it to flourish to half its potential, so I'm really sad to see my sister, Kelly Green Thumb, leave tomorrow. I'm going to have to get Aimee to come over regularly to take care of our Chia, since she insists it's so freakin' easy.

Zoe is excited about it. "You can watch it grow with me, Mommy. Ch-ch-ch-CHIA!"

Ah, advertising.

At work the other night, we had the annual awards ceremony. One of the awards was for best newcomer. LOL. Of course I didn't get it, but I think I dreamed that night that I did. Later in the evening they sent out a list of the winners and even the nominees, which I thought was a great idea, to let the nominees they were on a short list, even though they didn't get the 500 bucks.

Well, that was, hmmmm... Thursday maybe? Well, we get an amended email today, saying that the first email failed to include all the nominees. Wouldn't you know it, I open the damn thing, and my name is in it. Not for best newcomer, but for best design.

I've only been there a few weeks! I haven't seen a project to completion yet and I've done only three completely original A1s! I am not going to gloat, I am not going to even take it with a grain of salt. I'm going to ignore it and think about ... whose ass I kissed so I can get on the winner's list next year!

Ha, I jest. I am humbled and honored and shocked. I guess hearing from my dad (now on a 24-hour basis) how lazy I am...





Being back here, I'm starting to realize why I stayed away for so long. My sister relays to me that Dad tells her too how worthless I am. I made stuffed cabbages for dinner the other night, and my dad told me to get my aunt's recipe because mine sucked. "Don't you know that's why Rob threw his away?" I wasn't even aware that Rob threw his away.

Dad told my sister on Christmas that her potatoes were "OK." She practically reeled from the compliment.

I do need to get Zoe away from my dad too... he's already telling her that he will do nothing for her if I'm in the house. "Go ask your mother, I'm not on duty," he barks. And I overheard him telling her he doesn't want to watch her, it's not his job to baby-sit her for hours on end, that's not what grandparents are for. I hear him telling this to my 4-year-old. He won't tell it to me, but he'll tell it to her.

I wish there was somewhere else I could go. But I am back on days next week. Zoe has a new preschool she starts then. And let the house-hunting begin!


--------
"Teach your parents well,
Their children's hell will slowly go by.
And feed them on your dreams,
The one they pick, the one you'll know by.

Don't you ever ask them why;
If they told you, you will cry,
So just look at them and sigh,
And know they love you."

-- CSNY

No comments: