Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Feelin' like myself again

"It's nothing, it's so normal.
You just stand there; I could say so much,
But I don't go there 'cause I don't want to."

-- Back to Good, Matchbox 20



On Friday I was curled up on the table in the doctor's office, feeling sick as all hell. Stomach cramps. Backache. Headache. The doctor said I must have the flu, and ran through a list of a dozen other symptoms, all of which I said I didn't have.

"Yep, touch of the flu," he said.

Miraculously, on Saturday I was fine. Sunday, back on the couch all day. I convinced myself it couldn't be morning sickness. Or afternoon or evening or even middle-of-the-night sickness. But I couldn't go to work like this, and I couldn't call off the next six months. I called the doctor on Monday and complained some more. "Go to the emergency room," the practitioner told me.

Hmph.

On a hunch, I stopped taking the prenatal vitamin. By today, I could run a marathon. I almost washed my car, but decided to celebrate my newfound health by being lazy.

But no more lethargy, no more stomach pains. I'm going to try a regular vitamin and try to get my iron the old-fashioned way. Someone said red meat has lots of iron. Mmmmmmm. Hamburgers. I actually weigh less than I did before I got pregnant, so I will have to start packing on the pounds.

Does ice cream have any iron?



Joe and I have our first counseling session tomorrow. Though he said he would, he made no effort to make it happen, so I drove to the park today and called the employee assistance program and had an appointment in less than five minutes. I need to get this little soap opera over with.

I think he's a little bit nervous. He emailed me questions. Is it a man or a woman? How long will it take? What will you be talking about?

I'm not nervous. I'm not relieved. I'm not feeling anything. Well, that makes me nervous. That and maybe the car ride back to the office together.

No comments: