Sunday, July 30, 2006

Done deal

"I was alone, I took a ride,
I didn't know what I would find there;
Another road where maybe I could see
Another kind of mind there.

Ooh, then I suddenly see you.
Ooh, did I tell you I need you
Every single day of my life."

-- Got to Get You Into My Life, The Beatles



I'm going to be a grandmommy!


Yes, it's sort of true. Let me explain...

Joe has two grown daughters. They are nearly my age. And each has a son. And Joe and I made our engagement official.

I'm no math wizard, but I figure when we get married, that makes me a step-grandmother.

I just turned 33.

I have not met his girls, but since they live in Florida -- in BROWARD COUNTY, my recently abandoned second or third hometown -- I assume it won't be hard to cross paths with them at some point. I wish I could have met them before I have the baby, but it appears that possibility is disappearing. At this point I hope Joe tells them about our baby before it magically appears.



I got the ring last night, after my birthday dinner. Joe insisted on taking me to the Georgetown Inn in Mount Washington, (I think he is growing tired of my penchant for Eat N Park and my grieving for the defunct Chi-Chi's), and during the stroll back to the car, he kept asking me to hold things -- his wallet, his keys, some gum -- as he fished things out of his pockets. And then the ring appeared among the things he was handing me to hold. It wasn't the most romantic delivery, but I suspected it was coming and I think he knew that. The funny part is that he thought he had left the ring at the restaurant and was giving me his belongings to hold while earnestly fishing in his pockets for the prize.

It was no Chi-Chi's, but the food at the Georgetown was fucking awesome. And it's a beautiful ring. I thought about posting a photo of it, but I'm too embarrassed. Anyone who knows me and saw the size of the stone would laugh out loud -- it's worth enough to buy me my Payless shoe supply -- and my kids' -- for the rest of our lives. In fact, I've imagined the things I could trade it in for: A new kitchen, a roof, a new car....

But what's a girl going to do?

I'll probably just start sending my soon-to-be step-grandkids toys that are too young for them and clothes that are too small for them and stock up on hard candy, start misplacing my car keys and go get fitted for dentures and a cane........

No comments: