Saturday, December 06, 2008

Negative cycle

I got sick again today... and left work abruptly. That's... hmmm... three out of the last four weekends that sickness has overcome me.

I tell myself it is because I have two young kids, or that my co-workers are germy, or that the change in season has an effect. Those seem to be among the top reasons I hear cited whenever anyone has anything from a slight sniffle to violent vomiting. But something else occurred to me the other day: I am, officially, getting old.

I thought the threshold was closer to 30. I remember sitting through my 29th year thinking, this is it. It's all over for me. But nothing really happened.

But it seems like ever since I began approaching 35, and since I turned 35, my health has been wacky as all hell.

I have few friends who are sick more than I am lately. I have two kids going to two different places during the day, so that's probably a big chunk of my problem. But knowing that doesn't exactly solve it. The other day I was reading about the Herrin twins, whose family seems to be sick all the time, and it made me feel like... well, that I had it good, to be honest. But at the same time, that mom is not working, thus she is not constantly coming up with excuses for a boss as to why she can't make it in today or why she must leave early. Her job is way harder than mine, I CAN'T EVEN IMAGINE living that life, but I have to let myself feel sorry for myself.

Being sick so much lately... it sucks. Getting older sucks. Wanting to do nothing but sleep sucks.

Turning to stories of families who have it worse just for perspective... that sucks too.

No comments: