Sunday, March 01, 2009

Build-A-Freakin-Bear


The Build-A Bear Workshop is not something I would ever think about indulging my kids in. Sure, it sounds like great fun for a kid, but who can afford that (and I've been dying to say this and really mean it:) IN THIS DAY AND AGE.

I have a cousin who makes six figures and got Zoe in the grab bag at Christmas. I almost tacked "luckily" to the beginning of that sentence, but then I thought about the precedent I'm setting allowing Zoe to indulge in things that I couldn't otherwise afford.

She knew all about the Build-A-Bear philosophy when we went into the store. Apparently kids can pick out a heart for the "bear" -- in Zoe's case, a Hello Kitty -- and then it is promptly mixed in with the stuffing. As I'm watching this, I'm thinking.... I PAID A DOLLAR FOR YOU TO THROW SOME FABRIC IN WITH THAT STUFFING????

Everything about Build-A-Bear is to get you to buy all the extras, so I'm sure that is where they make their money. You want a sound? Of course your kid does!






We were probably in and out of the store in 45 minutes. Most of that time was spent talking Zoe down on buying every outfit and accessory, since I made her bring her own money knowing the gift certificate wouldn't cover everything.

I think Build-A-Bear is a great shop, don't get me wrong. But when you have to spend more than $50 to get just exactly right the stuffed creature you want, with the incentive to come back for more shit for it, I think you're paying way more for the experience than the materials. And before I got outside of the mall, I was wondering if there were any Build-A-Bear knock-off stores around the same time Zoe was wondering aloud when she would be able to come back for more outfits for her new friend.

She crooned about how all her friends had a Build-A-Bear, and Now She Does Too! And then asked for a cell phone because.... well... all her friends have one too. All her 7-year-old friends. Have cell phones.

A few days later, I caught Jacob trying to do in the new Hello Kitty.


I didn't try to stop him.

No comments: