Saturday, February 09, 2008

Acts of love

We're making Valentine's Day candy tomorrow!


I have a bunch of friends and kids coming over to make a mess. I had a hard time gathering up the supplies I needed today, but managed to make it work. My dad dug up the candy molds from his basement, so we're good to go.

These molds -- dozens of them -- have been in his basement unused for ages, so I was scrubbing them all down tonight. It was great remembering the times as a kid when my mom would make candy with us, chocolate-covered cherries being by far my favorite to make. And eat.

I don't think we're going to be that elaborate tomorrow. Not even close.

Some of the molds brought back memories of finding Easter baskets when I was a kid. Others brought back memories of my mother's more risque -- or should I say progressive -- sense of humor.


I remember attending family gatherings during the holidays, the adults opening up gifts from my mom, and while laughing heartily, shielding the boxes from the younger kids. She would paint these Playboy bunny molds pretty realistically, and the um, boobs, were designed to be chocolate-covered cherries.

Zoe spotted these molds, and out of all the bunnies and kittens and seashells, she latched on (not literally) to these. "Tomorrow, I want to do the ones with the pretty ladies. They are so pretty with their bunny ears."

YEAH, and the TRIPLE Ds.

These molds will mysteriously disappear before the other kids show up tomorrow. But I think I know what I'm getting my friends for Christmas this year.

No comments: