Sunday, March 30, 2008

Fanfare

"This time you've got nothing to lose.
You can take it, you can leave it, whatever you choose."

-- A Matter of Trust, Billy Joel



Aimee and Dean are getting married!


Dean popped the question on a "weekend" trip, and Aimee said yes. I'm happy for those kids, and quite surprised they made the leap.

In other romantic news, I gave Liam a key to my house this weekend. I know, it's not like getting engaged, or even close! But I had been thinking about it for weeks.

He opened the gift bag and unraveled the tissue paper... then unceremoniously screwed it onto his key ring, gave me a peck, and we went about our business.

Normally, this reaction would disappoint me, but the fact that I'm comfortable with the exchange is probably more indicative of how comfortable I am with him.

In the past week I fell asleep playing with my kids on the living room floor, while he cleaned up the kitchen. He took me to a Pens game Sunday and actually got us there on time. We stood in line at KFC feeling each other out about the menu and finally agreed Extra Crispy was the only way to go. He went with me into the city Friday to have a night out with my friends (and got mad that I paid).



But tonight.... tonight he brought his girls over, and I was lying in bed. They came and sat on the bed and told me about their week, grilled me about various things, and then the situation disintegrated into a tickling match.

And I realized I had missed his girls. I mean, I really missed them.

Liam and I have a long way to go, but things are going so very well. I have been thinking about some of the relationships I have pined over, as far back as my college days, and this is the first time I've thought to myself that I have something so much better, maybe this is what I have been waiting for.

Someone I've known all my life.

I was skeptical at first, but....


I am so happy. Still somewhat skeptical, but I'm going to let myself be happy.

I'm letting myself be happy.

No comments: