Saturday, March 01, 2008

God is on my speed dial

I took Zoe to a memorial service for an old neighbor this morning. I waited until we were leaving before I told her what we were doing, where we were going.

"Oh great," she said. "Another person in my family died."

"No, Zoe, he's not our family. But he's a good friend, and it's no less important to say goodbye."

She behaved pretty well at the service, but kept whispering things in my ear. "When is Virgil coming?"

Ummm.... "He's not coming honey. He died."

I got the usual, "When is this over," "I can't see," "I want to go home." One of the more interesting of her comments was about the words above "the guy hanging from the thing that looks like part of a kite." But she did settle for a while and listen. Apparently. Because then I got this zinger:

"Do you know God?"

I felt all my Catholic schooling suddenly coming back to kick me in the ass.

No comments: