Monday, January 16, 2006

Designs in mind

"Do you get what you're hoping for?
When you look behind you,
There's no open doors.
What are you hoping for?
Do you know?"

-- Do You Know Where You're Going To, Diana Ross & the Supremes



I think I had the sweetest job in the newsroom today: Celebrating by designing A1 for next Monday, after the Steelers win the AFC championship and advance to the Super Bowl.

I also had the saddest job: Mocking up some A1s in case they lose. Or, as anyone I have encountered within 100 miles would put it, in case WE lose.

I dunno, Dolphin fans, do you refer (er, reefer, newsies!) to yourselves as if you played tailback? Or more importantly, do Bronco fans???

I had no idea my editor would present my designs at the 3:30 planning meeting or else I would have a) started them before 1 p.m. or b) not turned them in at 3:25. THE editor did origami with my designs and handed them back to me, and I mocked up a couple more. His ideas were good... to say I was surprised would be a stretch, since I of all people had them too, but I didn't know I might have time to get them done.

My first group critique went great!

As dreaded as I felt when I realized they didn't pick up that I was anti-1A, I think I'll leave that off my resume should it come time to polish it off again. What more could a former Pittsburgh design-journalist-type gal hope to accomplish for her homecoming?

GO STEELERS!!!!!

No comments: