Saturday, January 28, 2006

I am NOT the editor

"I don't want your
Photograph.
I don't need your
Photograph.
All I've got is a photograph,
But it's not enough."

Photograph - Def Leppard



A few weeks ago, my uncle ranted to me. "I don't like that I have to turn the front page to keep reading a story. See what you can do about that."

On New Year's Eve, I met one of my cousin's friends, who works for the sheriff. "See what you can do about getting them to stop bashing our department."

From a sales clerk at Kaufmanns: "Do you think you could get the paperboys back?"

About a week ago, my dad tells me, "I have some Steelers pictures for you, if your paper needs them. My friend took them."

I get this left and right. If it's not about our coverage, it's "Do you know so-and-so who works there, my friend used to go to school with her." I don't recall ever getting any such requests in Florida or Indiana, Pa.

I think my uncle was half-joking (which is funny, because his idea is a possibility we are exploring), but most of the comments I get are dead serious.

Tonight my dad actually printed out pages and pages of the Steelers photos he had talked to me about a week ago. I have to say, there wasn't a bad one among them, even the ones that had type over them, with "Priceless" punchlines.

"Where did you get these, Dad?" I asked.

"My friend."

"Who took them?"

"I don't know."

"Dad, we have photographers who take pictures for us. Besides, these are old."

"So what? How can you tell?"

"And when we do run other people's photos, we have to say who took them."

"Just say I took them," Dad says. "Put my name on 'em."

No comments: