Sunday, January 15, 2006

Go Steelers!

If the playoff game had been an ordinary game, as it appeared to be when it started out, I wouldn't even be writing this. But man, that was a good fucking game.


I've spent Steeler Sundays at my brother's house more than a few times since I moved back to Pittsburgh, and it's usually emotionally charged and entertaining for me to watch the audience in the room as well as the TV set.

But today, I was jumping up and down and cursing right along with them. I saw glasses and bottles on the table leaping from their coasters as the dozen or so in the room bounced about and off each other in agony and joy during the last few "minutes" of the game. Men were hugging, women were near tears, phones were ringing.

After it was all over, Jen summed it up: "Man, I feel like I just played that game myself." And luckily Zoe didn't get trampled.

I didn't make it to Rob's in time for the kickoff... he's only minutes away from my dad's so I tore over during a commercial and didn't miss much. There were almost NO cars on the roads; it was eerie.

After the game, I stepped outside for a smoke, and it was like midnight on New Year's Eve, only it was daylight and the yelling and honking and firecrackers went on for much longer. Jen and I did a little howling of our own from the front porch. And I couldn't get a phone call or text message out for half an hour: All circuits busy.

The city swelled with a roar of cheering that made me remember what it was like when I used to live here; it made me forget snow and wind and cold and gray skies. I recalled the powerful sense of pride from native yinzers, the very idea that I could shed tears over a sport on TV. I wish the players themselves were able to walk out of their living rooms and just listen to the craziness echoing throughout the hills and valleys; I've rarely felt so much adoration for Pittsburgh.

And then I realized: It's 33 degrees out here, windy as shit, and I'm cold as all hell.

Hey, it's just football.......

Pass the Rolaids.

:)

No comments: