Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Pinch me

"I was feeling part of the scenery,
I walked right out of the machinery,
My heart going, 'Boom, boom, boom,'
'Hey,' he said, 'Grab your things,
I've come to take you home.' "

-- Peter Gabriel, Solsbury Hill


Holy crap.

I was sitting on the porch with my coffee today in Pittsburgh, all bundled in a coat and anticipating my flight back to Florida, and my cell phone rang. I was sitting next to my father. "Oh my god, I think it's them."

It was an offer. It was an offer I could never have expected. Mr. DME told me the day before that he was going to fight for this and that, but the editor in charge made it clear when I talked to him that what's done is done, not to expect this and that... blah blah blah.

To make a long story short, I got more than I could have hoped for. And while I'm sitting there listening to the details, Dad is in the background griping, "Tell him I want a hat and T-shirt too! Where's my hat and T-shirt!"

Oh, god, I'm 32 years old and going back to live with my father??? :)

I know that this company needs my skills, but I never thought for a second I'd be able to sell them on it. I would have been satisfied with an offer on the night desk, though I don't know if I would have taken it because I need a day job. But Mr. DME is on the phone telling me he wants me to be his assistant, he wants me to help run the design, photography and graphics departments, that I'm in charge when he's on vacation... (yeah, and he can probably hear Dad rumbling about a hat, LOL)

Hell, I know I'm capable of it. What burns me up is that my current publication... well, some of them saw it, but they chose to ignore my accomplishments, let alone my potential... I don't get it.

And this guy, Mr. DME, he doesn't know me except for us bullshitting over the din of CNN in his office and lunch near PNC Park.... but he got me. That I'm passionate about my work, that I'm a loyal employee, that I am a stickler for balance inside and out, and keeping the communication open...

And that we are journalists. We're not just designers or writers or editors or photographers... we're all journalists. Ahhhh, refreshing.

And he somehow managed to win the battle with the editor in chief that I was worth the dough. The same editor in chief who told me I was worth $14G if he factored in the cost of living, LOL. He's a personable guy, if not funny, and I plan to make myself a fixture in his professional life.

I think Mr. DME had his mind made up before he flew me there. I'd like to think I was charming and won him over, but probably I just backed what he sensed: That I'm not just a jack of all trades. I do have a hunger for this business, and I can do it all and do it well.

I left the hat with Dad.

On another note, I got back today to find a hurricane headed right toward us. What better excuse to move. Snow sucks, but hurricanes suck more.

No comments: