Monday, October 17, 2005

Please, give me a job

"Confusion never stops,
Closing walls and ticking clocks.
Gonna come back and take you home.
I could not stop, that you now know.

...You are, you are
Home, home,
Where I wanted to go."

-- Coldplay, Clocks


I got an hour's worth of good sleep before the interview. And I couldn't believe it myself: I wasn't tossing and turning all night over the interview itself, but about Pittsburgh. About my family. I was recalling all my good and bad memories here, and thought a lot about moving my daughter here... my daughter, the Florida native. Oh, I was also tossing and turning because I couldn't for the life of me get my toes warm in Pittsburgh's October. I started out with a pair of socks and two blankets and ended up piling on three more blankets. Damn thin blood.

I had the interview. It was .... long. I was left alone a lot but that didn't bother me. It's better than being stuck with busy people who have to baby-sit me! Not to mention the pressure on my part to engage in conversation when I know they have things to do.

I got to meet most of the management, and I was amazed. I was amazed at what was coming out of my mouth, and I was amazed I knew when to shut up and listen. I was amazed with the whole atmosphere and dedication.

Everyone was right up my alley though. I think they thought the same of me. I went to a few meetings and realized I had never even been to the same meetings at my current employment, nor had I been invited. The interview process for me was lacking at my publication.

I left feeling not just good, not just postiive... I can't explain it. I left feeling like it was in the bag, but even that doesn't explain it. It's the same industry, whole different feel. Everyone was naturally funny and positive and had faith in what they've taken on. And it just felt right. I really think they are interested. I really hope they are interested.

My dad and brother were obviously pessimistic when I got home. They know the Pittsburgh job market better than me. Wsssssssssssssssss, wind out of my sails.

I'm going out for celebratory drinks with Aimee. She was jealous of my parting gifts: a hat and shirt. She's worked there for years and promised to go in demanding her t-shirt and hat. :)

I have a good good feeling, and I don't know why. I've been told all these background checks and whatnot take time... six months is normal before a hire. I'm glad I have another day here to absorb what might be my reality. Tomorrow I'll sit outside and take it in so I remember a couple months from now.

No comments: