Thursday, October 20, 2005

Timing is everything

"Tell me why everything turned around.
Packing up,
Shacking up is all you want to do.
If I could I'd give you my world...
How can I, when you go taking from me.
You can go your own way.
You can call it another lonely day."

-- Fleetwood Mac, Go Your Own Way

It's Thursday. I gave my notice yesterday, and I've been smiling ever since. I thought giving my two weeks would be cathartic, but it was uneventful and predictable.

I've heard of counteroffers. Ha. I got just another "Don't let the door hit you in the ass" speech.

I accepted the job Wednesday morning. Mr. DME: "I'm so pleased." I'm so freaking happy I can't contain myself!!!! I was quite professional on the phone and didn't squeal or sqeak or even waver. I think.

There is a small tiny little itty bitty piece of me that thinks I might be making a mistake. I don't have a list of job duties, I don't know all about the benefits, I don't own any closed-toe shoes and I don't know if I need different tires for my car for winter. I've never driven in snow. :)

And Zoe's dad. He's a mess. And it kills me. It really does. This happened faster than I could have imagined.

Today I had to train the new hire, boyfriend to the girl who got the job at work that I went after here in Lauderdale. Both are a year out of school. Great people, and I have nothing against them, but I wonder who at work is responsible for making me sit through ANOTHER meeting today with another candidate who will take another job I deserved to get. All three of them come from the paper where our new DME worked.

But still, I have an enormous amount of faith in my future for the first time in a while. When I express any doubts about my ability to make it, my friends remind me: "[Your current company] has really done a toll on you, hasn't it?"

Yes, it has, I suppose.

That's no way to work.

I decided my last day will be Nov. 4. It is my nine-year anniversary with the company. I know no one else will care, but it will mean something to me. I made it.

No comments: