Sunday, February 12, 2006

Blue moon

"I found the simple life
Ain't so simple."

Running With the Devil, Van Halen



Zoe's dad came for the weekend, and we didn't argue, not even once. We took a long walk in the woods near my house, visited with family, played in the snow. He had a great time with Zoe.

The winter storm that was supposed to hit us didn't. We got some inches but passed the worst of it on to New York, where flights were canceled and some commuters resorted to cross-country skiing.

And I had a date that I wasn't sure was a date until it was actually... well, a date.

It was a busy weekend.

I was running around tonight trying to get my kid clean and laundry laundered and watering my diminishing collection of plants I brought from Florida and fielding a couple calls from girlfriends who knew I had a date, apparently before I did, when I looked outside an upstairs window and stopped in my tracks.

There was fresh snow on the ground, a clear sky, a bright moon... in the back yard was the bare tree I had grown up climbing, and its deep, stark shadow... all awash in blue.

It was just breathtaking.

I don't know how long I stood there before I began wondering in which unpacked box my SLR was; I needed a long exposure and a point-and-shoot digital wasn't going to cut it... and I rifled through some boxes long enough to realize I had too many boxes, too much crap in too many places. Toys and clothes and files and junk. And probably no film.

The sky clouded over and the moon and the shadow disappeared.




Back to laundry!

No comments: