Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Spread the love

"It's been a long, long lonely winter."

Here Comes the Sun, The Beatles



A few days ago I had something in the oven (dinner, people, dinner!) and when the timer went off I went to get potholders. When I got back to the oven, Zoe was holding it open. I threw a holy fit.

After calming down, I sat her down and explained that she could lose a hand to a huge boo-boo, did she want to grow up with only one hand, whatever I could think of to convince a 4-year-old that it wasn't a great idea to be opening up a hot oven without scaring her off cooking in general. "When you're a big girl, you can open the oven, but only when a grown-up is around."

This morning, Zoe was sitting with me in the bathroom procrastinating about getting dressed. I was in a good mood (the snow has mostly melted!), so I played along, but nothing was working. Finally, I barked a little. "Zoe, you're a big girl, go put your shoes on."

She looked up at me. "But Mommy, if I'm a big girl, can I open the oven?"

If you, what you, huh??

It's the day after Valentine's Day, but I woke up with hearts everywhere. There was a heart sticker on my pillow, on my sheet. I went into the bathroom and there were hearts all over my face. How did I sleep through that?

All through the day I found heart stickers from Zoe: On my cell phone, on my shoes. They were on the steps going upstairs when I went to bed. I left them there; Dad will surely bitch tomorrow.

I can't wait to get my own house! Those stickers would stay on the steps until they wore off.



I got roses for V-Day, complete with silly balloon and teddy bear. Even after my apparently bitter, single self philosophized briefly to my "date" (the quotes indicate I didn't know it was a date at the time of said philosophizing) about what a corny Hallmark holiday Valentine's Day is.

I thoroughly enjoyed the flowers. I still am.

And Zoe thought I was the shit for bringing her home a balloon.



I am practicing the Pittsburgh accent. Here's one I learned today:
Announcement
Ah-NAHS-min (long emphasis on the middle syllable; you could probably leave off the first syllable and still be understood, especially if you have an "an" before it, as in "Der's gunna be an nahsmin taday baht da Stillers coachiss...")

No comments: