Monday, March 05, 2007

Seeing the light

"No, nothing makes sense.
Nothing seems to fit."

-- Acrobat, U2



I snagged myself a new primary care doctor last week now that my OB/Gyn practice has washed its hands of me. And I was rather impressed that this new doctor guy wants to try to find the root of my high blood pressure rather than throw meds at the problem.

So, today I had the first of the scheduled tests: the lovely MRI. If you've never had one, and think you could handle it, go close yourself in a coffin for 10 minutes and then decide. You can even take a flashlight and music if you'd like.

This was my third MRI in my life, and it doesn't get any easier. This time I opted to be medicated and it STILL wasn't any easier. It just made the hyperventilating and weeping a little more surreal.

The series of questions they ask before the MRI are curious. They go something like this:
1. Do you know if you have any metal in your body?
2. Have you ever had a surgeon leave anything in your body, that you are aware of?
3. Have you ever been in outer space?
4. Have you ever been trapped at the bottom of an elevator shaft as the car began to plunge from the 23rd floor?
5. How did you handle it?
6. How many toenails clippings would you say you've shed in your life, in pounds?

Anyway, the MRI is over. And now I understand the pressures my dog faces when I tranq her to have the vet cut her nails.

By coincidence, my blood pressure suddenly dropped this morning. That sounds like a good thing, but for someone maintaining my usual systolic of 140-160, taking the plunge to 104 was more than my body knew what to do with. I was seeing white light all around me... flashing then... not flashing... a steady white light, calling to me, whispering for me to come hither.....

OK, so it wasn't THAT white light, and I guess I'm hard-wired to put my head below my heart when said head feels too heavy to hold above said heart, and I made it through the morning as best I could. It's awkward walking around bent over, but whatever. I didn't give in to fainting.

Next up is lots of bloodwork and peeing tests. Fun, fun, fun. Hope your Monday was better.

No comments: