Monday, April 23, 2007

Counting my blessings

"Take me to the magic of the moment
On a glory night
Where the children of tomorrow share their dreams
With you and me."

-- Wind of Change, Scorpions



Thank god for gas dryers. I got three loads of laundry done in under four hours tonight.

At Joe's, where he is not keen on "bringing an explosive into the house to run appliances," I spent about an hour and a half just waiting for a load to dry.

Joe's counterclaim in our lovely custody case lists my inability "to finish the laundry in a timely manner" (I kid you not), and now I can officially tell a judge, "Your honor, but Joe wouldn't give me gas."

Fun!

I also took the time tonight to appreciate that I could fold towels any way I fucking pleased. And socks too. I didn't have to cram all my jeans into a single drawer. I was no longer strapped with a woman's unending dilemma: Just how on earth do you fold men's briefs?? And I didn't have to lie in bed and watch Joe unfold and refold all his laundry, making changes I couldn't even detect.

Can't finish laundry, my ass.


Maddie moved in with us yesterday. My poor aging black lab had trouble adjusting... for about 20 minutes. Then she was right at home. She lived with Aimee for ...christ, it's been more than a year... and I am so happy to have her home.

We're getting the other dog, SarahB, next weekend I think. I stopped by my dad's house to visit her tonight, and he kept saying to her, "You're outta here soon." But he didn't sound very enthusiastic. In fact, he seemed despondent, and he mentioned he was going to get her coat trimmed, as if she wasn't departing in a matter of days. AND HE WAS FEEDING HER CRAB CAKES. Real, actual crab cakes, intended to be consumed by humans.

I kinda feel bad that my dad won't have his companion, but I think he'll get over it quickly. I bet he gets a dog for himself within a year.

My pups were another thing listed in Joe's countercomplaint: That he didn't want his son to live in a dirty household with two unruly large dogs that he had forbidden in his townhouse. Only when Joe and I were well into shopping for a house together did I realize his absolute objection to them.

Joe met Maddie once, Sarah twice. Briefly. (He didn't socialize with my friends or family much.)

Yeah, I'm realizing more and more how good it is to be away from that man. I feel like it's all coming together.

I think I can stop feeling sorry for myself now.

This IS what I dreamed of when I moved back to Pittsburgh: A house full of fun. And love. And safety.

And who needs ADT when you have large, unruly, dirty pets? I mean, really?

No comments: