Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Stormy weather

Today was the first day since I moved back to Pittsburgh that I heard snow plows.

I've seen and heard plenty of salt trucks spreading their bounty since I've been here, but I've never heard the grating sound of metal on asphalt over my two winters here until this morning. At 6 a.m., Joe woke me to tell me there was no school. It would have been nicer of him to just turn off my alarm and let me sleep, but it wouldn't have mattered with all the plow traffic outside.

We live on a cul-de-sac of sorts... it is its own little community of townhomes, and the only traffic up here besides people who live here are deliveries. In other words, the only way out of the neighborhood is the way you came in. I was surprised that the county paid as much attention to clearing our roads as they did. With all the noisy traffic, though, there was little napping for me.

There was little napping, too, because of the baby and Zoe home from school. We cleaned the hell out of Zoe's room today. With another snow day tomorrow, I'll have to find another constructive way to spend our afternoon.

The snow made a grand entrance today hours earlier than they predicted, and turned to ice in time for rush hour. I paid a few kids to shovel the driveway, and it's nothing but a sheet of ice now. I am so glad I have this time off work; even if I do go back, I will have managed to avoid driving during the worst part of this winter.

We have a great view from the back of the house: We can see about five or six communities -- and two interstates. About a fifth of our view tonight is dark... one of the neighborhoods on the next hill over is without power. All I can think of is: How on earth are they staying warm tonight??


Icicles drip from the back deck.

Speaking of warm, tomorrow is Valentine's Day! Joe had tulips delivered today, so I guess that's what I'm getting. I ordered him a huge bouquet to be delivered at his office tomorrow. I've also hidden cards all around the house, and I made paper hearts and pasted them up everywhere. Awwwwwwwwwwwww.

Happy Valentine's Day. I hope it is a happy one for everyone.

No comments: