Friday, January 12, 2007

Crowded house, Part II

"If I lay here, if I just lay here
Would you lie with me and just forget the world?
I don't quite know how to say how I feel.
Those three words I've said too much but not enough."

-- Chasing Cars, Snow Patrol



I'm trying not to be paranoid...

Joe's older daughter today found out that her cancer treatments have so far been successful. And his younger daughter had a baby of her own. He's been on the phone with them a lot lately getting updates and coaching them through this from afar, since they live in Florida.

He hasn't seen these daughters in several years, and when he found out they were going through tough times, he stepped up and re-established contact. I think it's great, and about time.

But -- and here's where the paranoid part kicks in -- I think he's been so preoccupied with them that he's not really invested in what's going on in his own house. I mean, we just had a baby. He horses around with Jacob for a few minutes a day, spends a few minutes in silence with me on the couch in the evening, and then he's either off talking to a daughter or sleeping or trying to stay awake to make it through a period of a Penguins game.

I miss him. I really don't know where he is these days. When I ask him how he is or if he's OK, I get the same thing: he's fine.

If this is fine...

I'm trying not to draw conclusions. Maybe he thinks I'm strong enough to carry a household of four on my own.

He'd be wrong.

No comments: