Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Well, that didn't take long

Joe and I are fighting, but I have no idea what we are fighting about. But I'm not exactly helping our situation.

Zoe's dad was in town visiting with her at my dad's house, and I went over to pick her up Monday when said visit was declared finito. When I got home, Joe was home from work, and livid. "I can't talk to you right now," he told me. "I will say something I don't want to say." And then he slept on the floor in his office all evening.

I know it was something about Zoe's dad, but I don't know what. That we were actually in the same room together for any length of time? Joe and I had spent a whole counseling session talking about Bob way back when, but I don't remember if we ever came to any conclusions about why Bob bothered Joe so much.

Fast-forward to 4:30 in the morning. I was up with the baby all night, I had a splitting headache from not indulging in caffeine, and Joe's alarm was going off. I asked him to help with the baby, take a turn for a while, and he said flat-out, "No." I asked him if he was going to talk to me about what's bothering him, and I got another, "No."

I totally flared up! I calmed myself down, and with all the clarity I could muster at the moment, I went downstairs and tried to talk to him again. He completely ignored me, so I goaded him with a threat that if he didn't talk to me, I'd leave him with the kid for the day and see how he liked it with no help, and he told me to go.

And so I did.

I spent the day with Zoe at my dad's, hoping Joe would call and just say something, anything. Even if was just, "Do we have any more diapers?" Nothing.

I went home in the evening, and Joe was feeding Jacob. His work clothes were still by the bed, untouched. I offered to take the baby and he refused. And as much as I wanted to snatch that kid up and cuddle with him, I let them be for the evening. They stayed upstairs in bed watching the Penguins game together and fell asleep. I keep poking my head in and looking at them, so peaceful, a couple of buddies who spent the day bonding.

I feel so fucking useless.

And I still don't know why we're fighting.

And Joe's leaving Friday morning.

No comments: